Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Cloth Diapering

Hi everyone. I know I haven't been on in awhile but that's a life of a self business owning, busy mom. I am so excited because I have something to blog about! Cloth diapers!

Now yes it may seem late in the game to start cloth diapering now that Evie is 2. But I disagree. I came across cloth diapering a month ago when Evie was outgrowing size 6 diapers. At that time she weighed 38lbs. I buy the off brand diapers but even that adds up. I was so sick of throwing money away and started looking for something else. At this time I started asking myself why we weren't already using cloth. Well when I look back 1) I had just had Evie and in that time there was already so much to do I don't think our lifestyle worked with cloth, 2) at this time I was working 5 days a week at Massage Envy. my days off where spent on catching up on other things. Plus Evie was at the sitter or Grandma's so much I would of had to still buy disposables anyways. But now in my life right cloth will work for us. I work only 4 days a week, I have 3 off with Evie and those are the days she is here. So I have a lot more time to do the cloth diaper thing.

Alright now that I had made the decision to go cloth I needed the diapers. Oh people if only it was so easy to magically say " I decide to go with cloth" and make your purchase and go on your merry way. Nope, not that easy. All the diapers I found were mostly one size or we needed a size 2 but even those already went to 35 lbs or 40 lbs. But I want to make an investment and I plan on her being in diapers at least a year. So these options didn't work. Plus there are so many brands I had no clue where to begin. I did find toddler diapers but they were more for training pants and Evie isn't there yet.

I came across a youtube video of a lady making her own inserts. That's when I light bulb went off and I was like wait I can sew my own diapers. So after a month of watching videos and saving money I have now reached the point of making diapers

Now I decided to do a hybrid diaper after much research. I also saw where people up-cycled pre-folded diapers out of receiving blankets. I was able to get a hold of these things at some thrift stores. Also Jo-Anns was having a 40% sale so I was able to get my PUL $8 a yard!

So I have been sewing all week. To see my steps and how I made the diapers watch for my next blog. These are the videos that helped me get started. Check them out if you want to know more and what to make your own diapers too. Just copy and paste.

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_c1sX6XUbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNm9E839CI

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fY6SgynXyQ

No comments:

Post a Comment