Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Making Cloth Diaper Inserts



The type of diaper I am making is called a fitted diaper. So inside this diaper it has many layers of fabric for absorption but still needs a bit more, this is where inserts come in. After lots of research I am making my inserts out of a micro fiber cloth towel, a layer of bamboo terry material and the micro fleece material.
Bamboo was chosen from other mommy reviews that said it worked great for a toddler's big pee flood. Micro fiber is also super absorbent. I found the towels in the auto department for fairly cheap. The micro fleece is used on the top to wick moisture away from baby's bottom. Also if you use the micro fiber towel it can not come into contact with the skin of baby or it will give them a rash. When handling it you can feel it sucking all the moisture out of your skin.

How I made mine:
  1. I measure the area that the insert needed to cover in the fitted diaper. I used this to cut my materials.
  2. I tri-folded the micro fiber towel, but put my bamboo terry in the middle of this, kinda like a sandwich.
  3. I then determined where my snaps needed to be added. I snapped them on my bottom layer of micro fiber towel. This step is important because once you assemble the insert it will have too many layers to snap through.
  4. I then placed my micro fleece on top.
  5. I would sew down one side at a time and then sew down the middle to keep all the fabric in place. Then close up the ends.
Pretty simple I'd say. It's better to have everything pre-cut and then assemble them. Snap them in your diapers and you are good to go.

Tri-folding

Working on adding bamboo terry

Fabric sandwich

Snaps

Micro fiber top

All sewed up


No comments:

Post a Comment